Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sample Statement of Purpose format
Statement of Purpose:
Please describe your aptitude and motivation for graduate study in your area of specialization, including your preparation for this field of study, your academic plans or research interests in your chosen area of study, and your future career goals. Please be specific about why UC Berkeley would be a good intellectual fit for you.
The writer of the statement below was admitted into UC Berkeley’s History Department. With her permission, I reprint her essay parsed with my commentary about why it works as a winning essay.
“Luscious fare is the jewel of inordinate desires,”cautions the author of The Gentlewoman’s Companion (1673), one of many early modern conduct books I surveyed this past year for an honors thesis entitled “‘Chaste, Silent, and Hungry’: The Problem of Female Appetite in Early Modern England, 1550-1700.” As indicated by the title, this project explores a provocative but as of yet scarcely studied facet of early modern gender constructions: female food desire. I use the word “desire” here rather deliberately, as early modern definitions of appetite extended well beyond the physiological drive to eat to encompass all those physical (and shameful) longings associated with the body. And, in a culture where women were by definition immoderate and sensual, female food appetite, I argue, constituted an unruly desire that demanded both social and moral discipline. In brief, my research concerns the patriarchal control of women’s bodies in sixteenth and seventeenth-century England vis- -vis a cultural idea about food desire and satiation as suggestive and immodest
In lieu of a formal introduction of my research interests and aspirations I offer a summary of my senior thesis, which earned me the 2003 Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research at the University of California, Davis This first venture into serious historical scholarship has affirmed my passion for early modern culture and history; and it has given me the confidence to assert and contest my opinions regarding the status of women in early modern Europe and the current state of early modern historiography Continuing along these avenues of research in graduate school, I would like to use my thesis as the basis for a future dissertation.
Though I remain wary about committing myself prematurely to a specific topic of research, I am also eager to elaborate, modify, and complicate my original assertions about the nature of the “problem” of female appetite in early modern England. Indeed, many of the conclusions reached in the thesis, such as my claim that the cultural eroticization of feminine appetite in early modern England betrayed a deep-seated masculine mistrust of female sexuality and sexual power, serve as starting points for future research and study.
On a more basic level, writing a thesis gave me the chance to become better acquainted with the essentials of historical research. Suspecting that normative discourses in early modern England participated aggressively in the monitoring of women’s appetites, I navigated the sea of early English printed sources in pursuit of the slightest mention of food and diet. Those sources I encountered during my research, which ranged from the popular conduct book, The Education of a Christian Woman by Juan Luis Vives, to the anonymous sex manual, Aristotle’s Masterpiece, challenged my basic understanding of history and the original premise of my thesis in ways not
anticipated. From deciphering esoteric type-fonts to developing an awareness of the importance of time and funds, I experienced the mundane realities of research that inevitably stunt the historian’s aspirations. Even more important was my gradual acceptance of the fact that early modern sources, no matter how we read them, do not always accommodate modern biases and expectations.
Though I cannot predict the course this project might take in graduate school, I expect that it will address the following themes and issues. First is the overarching issue of distinguishing the phenomena I observe from other forms of food restriction and obsession, namely the modern ritual of dieting and its most extreme manifestation, an eating disorder. Though not willing to evade those complicated (and controversial) parallels between modern and early modern usages of food and food symbolism to control the lives of women, I also wish to offer as an historian a nuanced portrayal of how early modern conceptualizations of female appetite were infused with contemporary, historically contingent notions of sexuality and gender.
Furthermore, the question of female agency in a project devoted almost exclusively to male prescriptions for diet and behavior demands further discussion. Admittedly, on more than one occasion, my own extensive use and analysis of conduct books and various obstetric manuals, works composed primarily by educated men, caused me to pause and wonder whether it was best to relate a history about women’s actions or the patriarchal apparatus under which those actions were oppressed. While I refuse to see women as simply passive receptacles of masculine command, I neither wish nor aspire to focus solely on their achievements; for, in my mind, the history of women and the history of patriarchy are inextricably related.My goal, then, will not be to detail just another example of how women in history were dominated by men, but, rather, to interrogate the means, in this case food, or, better yet, the cultural meaning of appetite, by which women’s desires were suppressed or denied.
Indeed I am proud of my thesis and, given extra time, could say much more. But I should also stress that that at the heart of my specific research concentration lies a more general interest in early modern European history, cultural and women’s history to be more exact.To date, my knowledge of the early modern period has been informed and my imagination sustained by an array of courses on early modern history and literature (I was a joint history and English major), including a graduate seminar on Renaissance urban culture taught jointly by Professors Margaret Ferguson and Deborah Harkness. My personal penchant for cultural history stems largely, I believe, from my training in literature and literary criticism, where sensitivity to the importance of language and metaphor is a necessary skill. Also of crucial importance to a professional career in history are my growing skills in Latin and French, and my fluency in Spanish.
This year I find myself in that difficult and frustrating transitional period between undergraduate and graduate studies. Though I would have preferred to directly continue graduate school after graduation, I opted to take a year off. A year away from school, I reasoned, would afford me the time needed to recuperate from an exhaustive undergraduate education, gain some perspective, and work on fulfilling the language requirement for a doctorate in European history. In fact, I am currently enrolled in a French course at a nearby university and plan to take a subsequent course during the upcoming spring semester. This academic hiatus, moreover, has imposed some much- needed distance between myself and my thesis, which I can now reread from a more critical, less
invested stance. And, finally, a break from school has given me sufficient time to search and research for graduate programs that best suit my needs.
UC Berkeley’s history program looms large in my mind, largely because of its outstanding faculty and interdisciplinary approach to history. In my own quest for a suitable graduate program, I was thrilled to learn that Professors Thomas Laqueur and Carla Hesse both taught at Berkeley. Professor Laqueur’s book, Making Sex: Body and Gender from the Greeks to Freud, stands out among the many books I read during my undergraduate education; and I credit his book with introducing me to the nascent but fascinating field of the history of sexuality and the body. Together, Professor Laqueur’s cutting edge research and Professor Hesse’s knowledge of early modern women’s history would make my experience at Berkeley a challenging and enjoyable one.
In addition, Berkeley provides an ideal climate for me to develop my cross-disciplinary interests. In particular, I am interested in pursuing a designated emphasis in women, gender, and sexuality, a unique option that distinguishes Berkeley’s history program from that of other institutions. The cross-disciplinary nature of Berkeley’s graduate program would foster, I hope, fruitful discussions with other departments, notably the department of English and Women’s Studies, thus broadening and enriching my research as well as my general understanding early modern culture and history.
- 1 The writer begins with a vivid quote that grabs the reader’s attention right
- 2 “Cautions” is an excellent verb choice. Careful word choice makes for lively
- 3 Note how neatly in one well-packed sentence, the writer gets right to the point of her current
- 4 “Provocative” is an apt and colorful word choice. This sentence explains the nature of her study and situates her subject in historical and thematic
- 5 “Unruly” is another aptly chosen adjective. Adjectives can create “dead places” in writing if they add nothing significant to the noun that it is
- 6 The summary sentence not only recaps the gist of the first paragraph, but also provides further nuance of the subject at
- 7 This first sentence makes clear that research first and foremost will be central to her argument in the essay. Mentioning the “Chancellor’s Award” in the context of her research is a clever way of boasting without seeming
- 8 It is a very good idea to explicitly state the chosen subfield within history: early modern Europe. You can’t assume that your readers will make the inference from the research topic alone. To “assert and contest” opinions is, of course, the marksmanship of historians; making reference to “the current state of early modern historiography” conveys familiarity with the subject on the one hand, and confidence and intellectual poise on the other. Notice how much more powerful is such a statement as compared to one poorly written, such as “I am passionate and committed to my interest in early modern Europe.”
- 9 Again, to say that as a historian, she will “elaborate, modify, and complicate” the subject matter is to show that she really understands the work of historians. A less experienced candidate might have written that she wants to uncover the “truth” in
- 10 “Starting points” –referring to her research interests–is a very measured way of saying that she knows what tugs at her heart, has done enough research to have some hunches, but is open to surprise endings. A beautiful rendition of a historian’s sentiment. You may turn off your readers if you come off sounding overly confident. Maintaining a measured tone is very
- 11 This paragraph details further specific lessons and skills earned through this research project. Note the use of colorful verbs such as “navigated” and “stunt.”
- 12 Note the nuanced and carefully measured way of speaking about her subject. Clearly the writer is well-read in theory and shows strong ability in critically evaluating her subject. Moreover, she tries to be the “objective” scholar in that she does not champion any cause. That is, she does not champion the cause of women even as she conveys deep empathy.
- 13 The reference to a parallel example of female appetite in contemporary culture as holding interest for the writer is aptly placed here. Were she to have mentioned it any earlier, it would have clouded the primarily historical nature and focus of her
- 14 It is wise at this point to zoom out a bit and show that the writer’s interest lies more broadly in early modern Europe and the history of women. Zooming in and out from the narrow to the general shows that you are capable of becoming a specialist without being overly
- 15 Showing interdisciplinarity and your abilities in language are key to your academic biography. In this case, the reader learns that she is a historian with training in literary
and critical theory.
- 16 This is a model paragraph for showing what you did in your “time off” from school. Note how nothing extraneous to her study is mentioned in this paragraph. The paragraph shows that the time off was spent wisely in preparing herself for graduate
- 17 She demonstrates a thorough-going knowledge of UC Berkeley. She mentions not one but two key scholars with whom she could pursue her studies. She mentions how their area of specialty dovetails with her own research interests. Note how she does not make empty, flattering remarks about the professors or the
- 18 She continues to list bounties beyond the department strengthening the argument that Berkeley is well-suited for her. The reader will be impressed with the research and the seriousness with which she has examined UC Berkeley as an option for graduate A well-written essay unveils much information about the writer, not only in her intellectual capacity, but also about her character and core values. Through her writing,
she makes a distinctive impression.
Not sure what graduate schools are looking for in a statement of purpose? Looking at successful graduate school statement of purpose samples can help! In this guide, we’ll orient you to what makes a great statement of purpose or letter of intent for graduate school. Then we’ll provide you with four successful statement of purpose examples from our graduate school experts. We’ll also provide analysis of what makes them successful. Finally, we’ll direct you to even more helpful examples that you can find online!
The Graduate School statement of purpose format: An Overview
A statement of purpose (also called a letter of intent or a research statement) introduces your interests and experience to the admissions committee. For research-focused programs, like most PhDs and many master’s degrees, your statement of purpose will focus primarily on your past research experience and plans. For more professionally-focused graduate programs, your statement of purpose will primarily discuss how your pursuit of this professional program relates to your past experiences, and how you will use the skills from the program in your future career.
A statement of purpose for grad school is also where you sell the admissions committee on why you belong in their program specifically. Why do you fit there, and how does what they offer fit your interests?
What’s in a Great Grad School Statement of Purpose?
Here are the essential elements of a strong graduate school statement of purpose:
Clear Articulation of Goals and Interests statement of purpose format
A strong statement of purpose will clearly and specifically lay out your goals in undertaking the program and what you hope to accomplish with the degree. Again, for a research-focused program, this will focus primarily on the research project(s) you want to undertake while you are there. For a more professional program, discuss what interests you within the professional field and what skills/knowledge you hope to gain through the program.
Sample Statement of Purpose Statement of Purpose:
Please describe your aptitude and motivation for graduate study in your area of specialization, including your preparation for this field of study, your academic plans or research interests in your chosen area of study, and your future career goals. Please be specific about why UC Berkeley would be a good intellectual fit for you. The writer of the statement below was admitted into UC Berkeley’s History Department. With her permission, I reprint her essay parsed with my commentary about why it works as a winning essay.
What You Must Know About Statement of Purpose Format
The Lost Secret of Statement of Purpose Format
In the instance of a causal analysis essay, your thesis statement needs to include the precise causes and effects you’re examining and why. It presents the argument you intend to support with the information you’ll include in your essay. You’re able to elaborate more in your own personal statement. Like every well-written tale, your private goal statement should tie the limit to the start.
Statement of Purpose Format and Statement of Purpose Format – The Perfect Combination
A statement of purpose simply states the aim of the essay if you’re not making an argument. It needs to be written with realizing that you are applying for an educational program which is a perfect match for you and can help you in shaping your career. Also ask yourself whether your statement creates a potent point. Ergo it’s better to refrain from absolute statements, unless you’re really sure. Narrative statements are usually true stories that come from the author’s individual life, but you might also compose a narrative from experiences of different men and women. As practice, it is best to compose thematic statements for a few of your favourite novels.
Your letter is a significant issue in regards to getting accepted to join a sorority, thus it’s extremely important to create a professional document. In the industry of education, a letter of intent is a region of the application process for pursuing more education. In fact, it plays an important role in the application process of scholarships in various colleges and universities not just in the United States, but several other countries as well. In such conditions, an intent letter, which is informally treated as a sign of faith between both parties involved, can prove to be very helpful.
List the date beneath your return address, and then the individual to whom you’re addressing the letter and her street address below the date. Normally, an official letter is short and has only a couple of principal body paragraphs, but in the event you will need to inquire about a string information it is possible to include everything in the principal body, spread over a few paragraphs. Though it may seem to be a normal small business letter, authority letters have plenty of legal implications.
The Good, the Bad and Statement of Purpose Format
Besides the workplace, writing is vital in many different areas too. In the same way, in the event the writing is devoid of mistakes, we have a tendency to create a fantastic impression about the writer. Firstly, the expression writing was defined by the Oxford dictionary as Writing is the very important method of communication inside an organization.
Statement of Purpose Format Can Be Fun for Everyone
Follow your outline, but don’t let yourself be scared to change it as you’re writing. An individual should develop each portion of the outline, remembering the major research statement. The outline should demonstrate your essay is going to have start, middle and end. Therefore, following an acceptable format whilst writing an outline of your research paper is easily the most important step.
Switching formats within a letter can cause you to be viewed as someone who doesn’t know basics of communication. You would come to be aware that the format isn’t in any way difficult to follow along with. If you are not certain of the appropriate format, however, you may use the template given below to serve your objective. Despite the fact that there’s no specific format for the statement, it can help to have a couple guidelines to begin.
For writing an outline for a research paper, you will need to understand the right format, which may help you to explain your thoughts and observations in an impressive method. The company email format needs to be simple with left margin. It is similar to the business memo and therefore, it won’t be difficult to understand the basic rules. It is crucial to follow along with a right format of a company email, as it directly describes your personality.
Life, Death and Statement of Purpose Format
You will probably have to write about why you are interested in being part of the program for which you’re applying, or why you chose the career path you’re interested in. Some programs ask you to address certain questions in your own personal statement. If you want to get evaluated by more than 1 graduate application, you must submit individual applications for each one.
Choosing Statement of Purpose Format Is Simple
If you’ve collected information by means of a questionnaire, you must analyze it correctly and present it in an intriguing way. Though the info given below will assist you in understanding the company letter format correctly, looking at a sample will allow it to be very apparent. It included in an abstract depends on the type of paper. Track down a resume template at which you will include all the appropriate dance info.